Energy generation can occur in both renewable and non-renewable ways. Part a) List three methods of non-renewable energy generation. Part b) List 2 methods of renewable energy generation. [Bonus] Part c) Why might it be beneficial to use renewable?
- Non-renewable energy refers to those sources of energy that are finite in amount; i.e. they can run out or be depleted over time. Three such methods of energy generation include:
1) Burning coal
2) Burning natural gas
3) Generating steam (to turn turbines for running generators) by using energy from nuclear fission processes
- Renewable energy refers to those sources of energy that are infinite in amount; i.e. these will never run out, no matter how much it’s used. Two such methods of energy generation include:
1) Using wind turbines for operating generators through wind energy
2) Using solar energy (via devices like solar cells, which convert solar energy to electrical energy)
- Renewable energy is better because you never encounter the risk of depleting such sources - for e.g. you cannot “run out” of sun rays, or water waves, or even wind! Apart from that, these energy resources are a lot cleaner; they do not release nearly as much waste/pollutants as non-renewable resources like fossil fuels, and thus are a lot safer for the environment.
Related Physics GCSE answers