Describe and explain some of the adaptations xerophytes have against living in extreme dry conditions.
Adaptations In Xerophytes
Xerophytes are plants that live in dry environments like the cactus in the desert. They have the following adaptations to conserve water
- Thick cuticle to prevent water loss by evaporation
- Fewer stomata density and stomata only on the lower side of the leaves to reduce water loss by evaporation.
- Seasonal shedding of leaves
- A succulent stem that stores water when available
- Extensive and deep root network for maximum absorption of water
- The reduced surface area of leaf
- Sunken stomata in pits
Related Biology GRADE-12 answers